Today, a day late, I’m linking up with Northwest Mommy for the first time–trying to spark my love of blogging again. There have been so many thoughts & words inside my head, but nothing’s coming out. Thank goodness for prompts and blog hops!
This week’s topic is birthdays, and I’m supposed to write a list of 10 things about them. And guess who has a birthday coming up in 21 days? This girl. Guess who has one coming up in 22 days? Jax!
Here are the first 10 random thoughts that pop into my brain when I think about those upcoming birthdays:
1. I’m turning 35. I should do something monumental to celebrate this one. Like lock myself in my closet, where nobody will find me, for the entire day.
2. I don’t know what exactly about 35 terrifies me. I had absolutely NO problem with turning 30, which is the birthday that bothers most people, right? Leave it to me to be anxious about the wrong birthday.
3. I like how my friend Melanie celebrated hers in April–we had a girls’ night in at her mom’s house. We ate things made from Pinterest. We played a game that I can’t discuss publicly (haha). We had champagne and Chambord. It was low key but a lot of fun. I’m torn between wanting something like that and wanting to go out to a bar with outdoor seating and sit under the stars sipping wine that someone serves to me all night long with the people I like the most. That’s what I typically do. Pre-baby, I spent the day on the beach with my girlfriends, too. Spoiled much?
4. I don’t feel a day over 25. Really. Sure, I have a kid & a house & a marriage, but I still feel like the same girl I was then. Just as confused, just as restless.
5. I’m going to start thinking of my birthday wish now, 3 weeks in advance. I don’t really believe in wishes at this point, yet I’m so superstitious that I can’t help but make them every time the numbers on a clock are all the same, every time I look at the night sky and see that first star, and at every birthday.
6. Jax is turning 3. Three years have flashed by. So will the next 3. What’s that saying I hear all the time? “The days are long, but the years are short.” So true!
7. I’m having his birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese because I don’t feel like having it at my house and because every time the commercial comes on, he asks to go there. I’m terrified. This is what happened the last time we went to Chuck E. Cheese:
8. However, I’m very excited about the Spider-Man cookies going in the favor bags. They’re being made with love by Becky, a super talented Twitter friend of mine. I can’t wait to bite Spider-Man’s head in half.
9. Cake! Shoot, I need to figure out the cake situation. Jax doesn’t even really like cake. I know, who doesn’t like cake??
10. Every time our birthdays roll around, I remember laying on my couch in labor on my 32nd birthday, wishing my phone would stop ringing and people would leave me alone. I was depressed to miss my big birthday Indian dinner with friends that night and super anxious about having my first baby–who was taking forever to come. I remember my birthday wish that year: Please let us not share a birthday. I was so worried about Jax and I sharing a birthday. I wanted him to have his own special day. And when he was born the next day, I was elated that he listened to me and stayed put those extra few hours. What a good boy!
So now that you’ve gotten a glimpse into my brain, tell me this: Do you make a special wish on your birthday?